About the Firm
Our law firm has roots in Wichita Falls and the North Texas area going back over a century. The Gibson Davenport Anderson firm started in 1910 when a predecessor firm composed of attorneys Charles C. Huff, Joe H. Barwise and Orville Bullington first appeared in the Wichita Falls City Directory. The Sherrill, Crosnoe & Goff firm was first organized in 1926 by attorneys John E. Kilgore, Guy Rogers, Allan D. Montgomery and Joe B. Carrigan; the firm was located in the Staley Building (now the Wichita Tower). In 2022, the firm was recognized by MSUTexas as one of the City’s oldest businesses as part of the University’s centennial celebration.
Our firm’s namesakes both began their practice of law in Wichita Falls in 1957. Frank Gibson, a native of Wichita Falls, graduated from the University of Texas School of Law in 1957, and after serving in the Merchant Marines and the United States Army, took a job with the Wichita County Attorney’s office. He became the City Attorney for the City of Wichita Falls in 1959 and served in that capacity until he left to join the firm (then known as Humphrey, Humphrey & Gibson) in private practice in 1961. Mr. Gibson’s legal career spanned 50 years and under his leadership, the Gibson Davenport Anderson firm grew and adapted to the rapidly changing legal and technological environment. Mr. Gibson passed away in 2011. He was one of the original directors of American National Bank, and his practice included oil and gas and banking.
Joseph N. Sherrill Jr., also a Wichita Falls native, graduated from Harvard Law School in 1955, and after serving as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army, he joined the firm of Rogers, Eggers & Sherrill in 1957. Mr. Sherrill practiced law in Wichita Falls until his death in 2013. His practice included banking, oil and gas, estate planning and representation of charitable organizations. Mr. Sherrill served on the Board of Directors of First National Bank of Byers for 52 years.
Our current attorneys joined their respective firms as follows: R. Caven Crosnoe in 1966, Robert W. Goff, Jr. in 1972, R. Ken Hines in 1975, Richard K. Bowersock in 1981, Erwin Davenport in 1982 and Michelle Wurster in 2000. In 2008, former associates, Matt Anderson, D. Todd Davenport and Barbara Gibson became partners in Gibson Davenport Anderson, and in 2011, Kara Blanco joined the firm as an associate. Since 2017, Tony Bates and Peyton Cannedy have joined the firm as associates.
The firm’s administrative staff include Lesley Chasteen, Carla Ellison, Jean Ann Fortner, Dena Hardin, Cherry Hernandez, Shirley McCauley, Janice Scanlan, Shannon Sharer, Chris Smith and Kristen Terrell.
Our lawyers represent a wide variety of corporate, banking, institutional and individual clients in the Wichita Falls, Austin and Texas Hill Country areas, and they continue the tradition of active participation in the legal profession and the community. Members of our firm are involved in the professional, social, religious, civic and political life of our communities, serving on numerous boards and nonprofit organizations.
As we continue to build our Sherrill & Gibson, PLLC team, we are both proud of and humbled by our wonderful heritage in the practice of law. We look forward with resolve and enthusiasm to continuing our tradition of delivering excellent legal services to our clients.